Communications Consultant – KP REACH
Hivos Southern Africa Hub, aims towards an open and green society, inspired by humanist values such as freedom, dignity, responsibility and curiosity. Our objective is that every person can live in freedom and dignity on a planet that is sustainable. We pride ourselves as upholding the principles of Social innovation of generating new ideas and approaches that resolve existing social, cultural, economic and environmental challenges for the benefit of people and planet.
Hivos has a long track record of being creative and innovative. As such Hivos is the Principal Recipient (PR) of a GFTAM (Global Fund Tuberculosis AIDS & Malaria) funded programme for Key Populations - Representation, Evidence and Advocacy for Change in Health: referred to as KP REACH. This programme is housed under the Hivos Southern Africa Hub, which is based in Harare. The grant covers 8 countries in Southern Africa and aims to reduce stigma and description among Key Population and increase their access to HIV services.
Under the direct supervision of the KP REACH Programme Director, and overall guidance of the Regional Director, the Communications Consultant will help position KP REACH in the region and beyond, through implementing a corporate communications strategy, designs, manages and facilitates the implementation of PR KP REACH communications and publication strategies with a view to influencing the achievement of grant objectives, to promote public and media outreach and to mobilise various ways of support to KP REACH.
The Communications Consultant manages the communications in close collaboration with all grant Sub-Recipients. The Communications Consultant also works in close collaboration with the Hivos Programme Management Unit and constantly keeping various stakeholdres engaged on the KP REACH programme.
- Elaboration of the KP REACH communications and outreach strategy to increase visibility.
- Strategic and timely advice on inclusion of communications components during programme implementation to integrate advocacy and resource mobilisation.
- Lead the publication of communication material.
- Identification and development of storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key populations.
- Works closely with Sub-Recipients.
- Create promotional material and increased coverage.
- Formatting, packaging and submission of programme implementation updates for donor review in close collaboration with programme staff.
- Regular updates to Country Coordination Mechanisms (CCMs), Donors, Governments, Civil Society and community.
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials being sensitive to issues.
- Identification of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme objectives.
- Monitor practices, and programme specific news and developments in the region, in order to ensure guidance to KP REACH.
- Provides advice and support to the Programme Director and the Regional Director
- Master's degree in media relations, journalism, publishing and related field or equivalent.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter (public health and key populations).
- Self motivation and enthusiasm and ability to work under own initiative.
- Advocacy and lobbying experience.
- Flexible and innovative.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent in English language.
What we offer
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment.
The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position is a consultancy position with the possibility of working outside the office. Hivos welcomes International and Regional applicants.
Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.